Tuesday, February 6, 2007

What is the difference between a Forklift and a Pallet Stacker

I get asked this question all of the time...my business has "forklift" in the name, but I don't sell any forklifts.....

Ok, here is the story. Several years ago, I needed a way to lift heavy pallets onto pallet racking so I went out and looked for a forklift. What did I know, I never worked in a warehouse or on a dock before. I called the local Crown and Hyster dealers and asked questions about buying a forklift. All I wanted was to lift a 2000 pound pallet to a height of 10 feet. The dealers were quoting me prices of $10,000, $20,000 and even $30,000 for a forklift.....I passed out. That was more money than I started my first business with.

Well it turned out, I was asking for the wrong piece of material handling equipment, I really wanted a pallet stacker. I wouldn't know the difference if I tripped over these.

I looked at several material handling association websites, OSHA, and manufacturers, but I couldn't find any real definitions. So I made my own up.

  • A forklift (sometimes incorrectly spelled as fork lift) is a lift truck used in warehouses, factories and loading docks which the operator sits down and drives. They are typically powered by either gasoline, diesel, propane or electricity.
  • A pallet stacker is also a lift truck with many of the same uses as a forklift, but the operator walks behind or rides on a platform while standing up.
In a few days, I'll write about the advantages and disadvantages of each of these pieces of equipment.

2 comments:

priyanka royal said...

The post was truly very much informative,Stacker Manufacturer in India would like to appreciate your effort for giving such good post.

daisegom said...

Well I prefer Pallet stacker if ground is flip-down else I hire second hand forktrucks or lifters in my need of heavy weight lifting. But truly both are great in use and easy to operate as per my experience.