Sunday, February 25, 2007

Material Handling Equipment Review

Item: Walkie Pallet Stacker Forklift

Model: P10030

Brand: LiftScience

Similar to: Crown ST 3000 Series

The P10030 is a medium duty lift truck for use in small and medium sized warehouses and factories. I have had mine for a little over 2 years and overall am pretty pleased with it. I can recommend this model.

It can lift a total of 2200 pounds to a height of 122” that is a little over 10 feet. However, in reality, when you factor in clearances and pallet overhang, the top shelf in your warehouse should be at approximately 9’ 8”.

This lift truck has about the smallest turning radius I have ever seen. Similar to a pallet jack, it will turn within its own length so it works very well in the narrow aisles I have. It takes about 30 seconds to lift to it highest point and lowers down at about the same speed. The control handle is easy to hold and has a fully variable butterfly speed switch which is really accurate. I’ve seen some other brands which only have either forward or reverse.

This lift truck can easily go up reasonable grades in our parking lot even with a full load and the brakes stop it quickly.

I don’t operate it too often except for when we get a container in, then it gets used non-stop. I find that the batteries will last a full business day of use and I then plug it in at night to recharge.

I looked at several other brands before I bought this one. I had previously have a manual drive LiftScience M10030 lift truck and was happy with it, except that I was getting tired of pushing it.

There are probably two things I think they could do better with this model – the standard batteries only last about 1-2 years – a higher quality battery would be a good idea. However, I was able to replace the batteries at Costco for $130 and the replacements have an even higher capacity and a guaranteed for 4 years. The other thing would be adjustable width forks.

No comments: